how does tool seperate out steps action and expected result data

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Edited Aug 21, 2012 at 2:20 AM

When I pull out my open test cases results in excel I see agile 5.0 test case step actions and expected results data is presented in a single excel column called "steps" with no obvious character separator between the individual pieces of data, e.g. its format is sharedstepaction1sharedstepexpectedresult1action1expectedresult1action2expectedresult2action3expectedresult3...actionNexpectedresultN

if i'm migrating test cases from agile 5.0 test case to new microsoft scrum 2.0 test case how does the test case import utilities app know how to break apart those entries when creating the target scrum 2.0 test case step actions and expected results?

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Edited Aug 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

. . . in other words I’m finding that it’s not successfully retaining test case steps action and expected results value sets but instead just merging all actions and expected results into a single test case step action. 

Anyone have experience with tfs test case migrator plus 1.2 rc 09mar12 that could comment on what I need to do in order to get the test case steps migrated with step actions and expected results line entries maintained?

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Yes, have same problem.
This tool is useless to me w/o an answer for this.
Exporting/Importing records is not a huge leap with Excel.
However, test cases are a nightmare because of test steps. They do not export in a nice fashio (as you see above).
This tool only addresses importing Test cases if you have test steps formatted correctly.

How to we actually MIGRATE from one server to another w/o mass overhead for test steps in the middle?
Currently we have testers migrating 5000 test cases overy by cut/paste of steps because there is not tool to do it correctly.

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:32 AM

what i'm hoping for is an update to this tool or the tfs migration tools that allows me to easily migrating projects from one environment to another or from one process template to a new project using new different process template with test case fidelity and work item links retained.  migrating version control repository content I can handle manually.