duplicate suite name found in suite 17. suite names must be unique..

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:01 AM

When attempting to import a large amount of tests, I get the following error when attempting to create the 14th test case WI:

duplicate suite name found in suite 17. suite names must be unique.

I obviously have multiple tests in each test suite, so the suite was already created for WI 13- why is the tool trying to create the suite again instead of just adding this test to the suite that already exists?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Have you checked if the suite already exists in the test plan? If the test suite already exists, you'll have to manually delete it from test manager and attempt the migration again.

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Hi, thanks for your quick reply :)

I probably didn't explain very well; there was no existing plan or existing suites in MTM; all tests are in the spreadsheet.

The plan was created successfully, the first 13 test cases and the corresponding test suites were created, but the 14th work item was not created and I was presented with the duplicate suite error message.

The suite already exists by the time the tcmimport tool gets to row 14, because the tool created it during the upload of the first 13 rows from Excel.

Does that clarify?

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Yea, it clarifies the problem, but I haven't experienced this :)

Have you read this discussion? http://tcmimport.codeplex.com/discussions/212262

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I hadn’t read that discussion, but the issue sounds the same.

My tests steps are in multiple rows, so the proposed solution by shik4 didn’t apply to me.

I should clarify that I am working for a client and migrating a huge amount of test data from another tool; I have had great success with this tool; yesterday I successfully migrated a plan with over 3000 tests and multiple levels of test suite nesting J 

This issue has occurred for only 2 plans (so far) and the format is the same as in successful plans, so I cannot see any pattern or understand why this has occurred.