Test Case Migrator - Test Case Source ID

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Question on the test case source id. I am trying to migrate a test case from excel and link it to an existing requirement/user story (agile template) in VSTS 2010/Test manager. I don't really understand what the test case source id is. Is this supposed to be the next available id within VSTS/Test Manager? Is this an existing test case id in VSTS/Test Manager? I am getting my test cases to migrate without linking and I get errors saying object reference not set to an instance of an object. I have all required fields filled out in my excel data source.

Thanks for any assistance,

Dan

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM

The same problem goes for me. Linking or not linking, I got the same error because of the Source ID.

If you people are able to provide any assistance, it would be appreciated.

Diego

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I was also having same problem. What I found was, the linking is only done when the Bug or requirement is imported through the tool.

When import is done through the tool, it creates a file called "LinksMapping-ReportFile.xls" on output (consolidated output log). For  linking, the tool does not refer to TFS existing work items but refers to this excel sheet. So when initially the work item is created/imported via the tool, then the excel sheet will have entry as "Bug" or "Requirement". So next time when you import TestCase with link to any Bug, it checks if the Bug with that ID is present in this excel sheet. If present it will link it, else it will say "Target work item is not migrated yet." The source Test Case will be created in TFS but the linking will fail.

This approach is useful in some way but not useful to link to existing work items which are created in TFS without this tool.

I am still trying to find more details.

I may be worng, so let me know if anybody thinks otherwise.

-- Harshal