Link mapping between Test Case and User Story

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Hi, I have read through LinkMapping Internal - ReadMe to understand the relationship between Test Case and User Story but not able to complete follow:

Here is the scenario:

1. I have already imported a bunch of new test case with/out mapping. Also I have imported User Stories as well in a separate import
  2. Now I want to import additional test cases that would link to User Stories already in TFS (I have added a column in excel referencing TFS ID for User Story)
  3. Checked off LInk mapping (this is where it gets confusing/convoluted in the instructions document)
  4. "Fields containing unique source work item id" - I located the existing TFS ID for the user story and placed the value in that colum, and selected from drop down the column name "Linked User Story Source"
  5. In the link type box "Test Case "Tests" User Story" - Not sure what to select here
  6. I am importing a new test case to map to an existing User story already in TFS identified as TFS ID 6

Any ideas suggestions on how to properly link/import a test case to an existing user story would be helpful. Thanks

Jake

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I have the same issue ...does anybody has an idea?

Regards,

Rafael

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Similar problem here. I have tried both these combinations:

Combo 1:

Field containing unique source work item ID: Test ID (excel column for with user defined IDs for test rows)

Field containing linked work item IDs: User Story ID (column with User Story IDs already in TFS)

Combo 2:

Field containing unique source work item ID: User Story ID (column with User Story IDs already in TFS)

Field containing linked work item IDs: Test ID (excel column for with user defined IDs for test rows)

The test cases load into TFS successfully but the linkages are not present. Please advise...

- Julia

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I figured it out. My mistake was trying to link work items using TFS IDs. Here is a summary of what to do to link Tests and User Stories:

1. Migrate User Stories (I don't think you can link existing). Create your own unique User Story ID in the spreadsheet. Make sure to check off link mapping in the tool. The unique source work item ID will be the User Story ID column in your spreadsheet. Field containing linked work item ids does not need to be identified right now. Complete the migration.

2. Migrate Test Cases. Create your own unique test case IDs in the spreadsheet. Create a column for User Story IDs you want to link the test cases to. These IDs are the same as the ones you created in Step 1. Not TFS user story IDs. In the tool. the unique source work item ID will be the Test Case ID in your spreadsheet. Field containing linked work item ids will be User Story IDs for link type Test Case "tests" user story. Complete the migration.

May 24, 2012 at 9:04 AM
jkjules wrote:

I figured it out. My mistake was trying to link work items using TFS IDs. Here is a summary of what to do to link Tests and User Stories:

1. Migrate User Stories (I don't think you can link existing). Create your own unique User Story ID in the spreadsheet. Make sure to check off link mapping in the tool. The unique source work item ID will be the User Story ID column in your spreadsheet. Field containing linked work item ids does not need to be identified right now. Complete the migration.

2. Migrate Test Cases. Create your own unique test case IDs in the spreadsheet. Create a column for User Story IDs you want to link the test cases to. These IDs are the same as the ones you created in Step 1. Not TFS user story IDs. In the tool. the unique source work item ID will be the Test Case ID in your spreadsheet. Field containing linked work item ids will be User Story IDs for link type Test Case "tests" user story. Complete the migration.

Hi Julia,

I am trying to use your suggested method but still cannot work. I keep getting error like "Input String not in correct format" whenever I try to migrate using Link Mapping in the Test Migrator Plus. Appreciate if you can share sample spreadsheets on this. Thanks.

- Samantha

May 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Samantha,

I saw that error before too, and here is how I worked around it:

1. In TFS, search for a task with this title: <DONOTDELETEORCHANGE><TestCaseMigratorPlus><LinksMetaData><Stored as a Task work item>

(this task stores the XML data from your previous imports)

2. Rename the task

3. Repeat your import from the beginning. I believe something in the file gets corrupted and it prevents you from importing new data, even if done correctly. When you import again, a new task will get created with the original title and store the new import file.

If this still does not resolve your issues, PM me with your e-mail address and I will forward you successful spreadsheets.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Hi Julia

I am struggling with Step 1. I follow your instructions, but I get the error "Input String not in correct format" as well. The requirements do not get loaded, nor is the a task created named: <DONOTDELETEORCHANGE><TestCaseMigratorPlus><LinksMetaData><Stored as a Task work item>.

If you could email me your xls example that would be good. alexszarko@hotmail.co.uk Many Thanks
Oct 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Hi, I am also getting the same error while exporting testcases from Excel to TFS.

DONOTDELETEORCHANGE><TestCaseMigratorPlus><LinksMetaData><Stored as a Task work item>"

How to resolve this error? This is lil urgent.. I have to complete the task by COB. Thanks in advance
Oct 22, 2013 at 2:10 AM
Hi,
I could resolve the issue stated above and test cases were uploaded.
However no links were established?

Please can you help?